The search for answers in the long-running hunt for missing Madeleine McCann has taken another turn, with authorities confirming they have “seized a number of items” to analyze after a dig.
According to reports, German investigators spent three days searching the area surrounding the Arade dam and reservoir, situated around 30 miles from Praia da Luz, where Madeleine went missing in 2007.
Whilst the police refused to confirm whether or not the items they had recovered from their dig are in any way connected to Madeleine’s disappearance, speculation is now running rampant in the hope the pending analysis could provide some sort of break in the case.
Madeleine’s parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, have always maintained that Maddie was abducted after they left her and her siblings alone in their holiday apartment to have a meal at a restaurant close by. Last month, they issued a statement via their representatives that read:
“There isn’t anything to report at this time. If and when there is, it will come from The Metropolitan Police.”
Back in June 2020, some 13 years after Madeleine vanished shortly before her 4th birthday, German police stated their belief that the little girl was dead. Furthermore, they declared convicted rapist Christian Brueckner a prime suspect.
According to the Daily Mirror, detectives are now doing their utmost to uncover evidence that would link Brueckner to Madeleine’s disappearance – authorities have said their investigation into the German national would “continue for some time.”
Brueckner, meanwhile, has maintained his innocence, insisting that he had nothing to do with Madeleine’s vanishing, despite being in the same area at the time.
“You can never imagine how it is when the whole world believes you are a child murderer, and you are not,” he wrote in a string of letters made public by the MailOnline.
“I got told a long time ago that the prosecuter’s office was closing the Maddie case because there is not even the smallest evidence. There will never be a trial,” he continued.
“The prosecutors are not saying anything to the public because they must give the files to my lawyers – and they contain many (sic) material which confirms my innocence.”
Yesterday, a spokesperson with the Braunschweig public prosecutor in Germany, said of the recent search operation, the first of its kind in nine years:
“The search operation ended as planned on Thursday after three days.
“A previously exactly specified area along the reservoir has been fully searched for possible pieces of evidence searched.
“A number of items were seized as part of the investigation. These will be evaluated in the coming days and weeks.
“Whether individual items actually have a connection to the Madeleine McCann case cannot yet be said. Thank you to all the police officers involved in the search.
“The cooperation between the Portuguese police, police officers from Great Britain and the Federal Criminal Police Office went excellently and very constructively.
“The investigations conducted here in Braunschweig against the 46-year-old suspect are expected to continue for a long time.”